[PLUG] Sudden drop in spam recently?

Tim tim-pdxlug at sentinelchicken.org
Tue Nov 24 18:50:51 UTC 2009

> Isn't Verizon doing just what you're advocating? Like most modern ISPs
> they replaced the use of SMTP with authenticated submissions on port
> 587.

You mean you must still route your mail through their servers?  Then
no, that's not what I'm advocating.  Restricting senders at the ISP
level is not a solution, it is the problem.  Please correct me if I
don't understand what you're referring to in relation to port 587.

The primary problem with SMTP is that it is designed to accept mail
from anonymous users (a requirement) *and* it places the chief
resource usage on the receiver.  Receiving servers need to store the
mail.

One approach to turning the tables on this game is to make senders
store mail until receivers choose to accept it:

  http://cr.yp.to/im2000.html

This of course would make many of the current methods used by spammers
more difficult (infected PCs) and would give RBLs a head start on
spam.

I'm not saying this is the solution, but it is a good start at a
conversation on fixing mail.

tim