[PLUG] Sudden drop in spam recently?

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Tue Nov 24 18:57:55 UTC 2009

On Tue, 24 Nov 2009, Tim wrote:

> One approach to turning the tables on this game is to make senders store
> mail until receivers choose to accept it:
>  http://cr.yp.to/im2000.html
>
> This of course would make many of the current methods used by spammers
> more difficult (infected PCs) and would give RBLs a head start on spam.
>
> I'm not saying this is the solution, but it is a good start at a
> conversation on fixing mail.

tim,

   This is the 'pull' model used by Usenet, Web-based fora, and the like.
Many of us don't like that model at all. We perfer the 'push' model that
puts messages in our inbox (or other files based on procmail rules) and we
don't have to go look for it.

   Filters at the MTA level and tools like SpamAssassin help extensively.
But, as long as there are M$ OSes vulnerable to exploitation, and effective
exploits, there will be spam. Like the wars on poverty, drugs, and terrorism
spam will be with us forever and we need patience and tools that limit the
annoyance and damage. Thinking of getting rid of spam is right up there with
envisioning whirled peas.