[PLUG] Spam, SMTP, and 'net censorship (was Sudden drop in spam recently?)

Heath Morrison heath at doublemarked.com
Tue Nov 24 19:43:13 UTC 2009

Verizon is not blocking outgoing port 25 to protect you or to control
you, they're blocking outgoing port 25 because of the abuse it exposes
them to. It obviously has no direct benefit to the end user, but it
does remove a common source of spam. This should lead to a net
reduction in spam.

I've run lots of mail servers, web servers, and all sorts of other fun
servers. I don't run them on my consumer internet service. I also
don't think Verizon has an obligation to enable you to do that. This
is not Verizon attacking your freedom or privacy, this is  Verizon
protecting their profits. They will sell you a business grade service
that lets you run all this stuff, have a static IP, QoS, whatever else
you want.

I'm not saying we shouldn't fix the system, I'm just saying it's a lot
more work than you might realize. There is no crazy spam filter
conspiracy. It's a massive problem that people and companies have
spent a decade and millions of dollars to try and fix.

-Heath