[PLUG] Spam, SMTP, and 'net censorship

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Tue Nov 24 22:36:53 UTC 2009

On Wed, 25 Nov 2009, Heath Morrison wrote:

> But - running flaky internet service without features ("consumer" grade)
> is cheaper than running high quality service with all that it generally
> implies (greater upstream bandwidth, static IPs, some notion of service
> uptime requirements, etc).
>
> Most internet subscribers are interested in the lower price, despite
> the lower quality service it comes with.

Heath,

   I don't know whether my service (Aracnet/SpiritOne) is considered consumer
grade or business grade. I have a static IP address, run my own mail server
(and could run ftp or http servers if I was so inclined), have 24/7/365
uptime, and an outstanding group of tech supporters (who know linux) and a
super admin.

   I've been their customer for about a decade now and find they provide all
that I need or want. Well, ... higher download speeds would be nice on a few
occasions, but not enough to be worth the extra cost.

   Regardless of where they fall on this spectrum, they serve my business
well.