[PLUG] Debian trip is over

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Thu Nov 26 08:39:23 UTC 2009

I really gave it a good try, but it doesn't work for me.

Why?

Testing is just too buggy for my taste. And Lenny is far too old.

I never could fix the problems in Gnome that developed. At one point I
completely deleted all config files relating to Gnome, Nautilus and
gtk, letting them be recreated when I logged in again. And I still had
no window manager or gnome-panel. I also spent almost an entire day
trying dozens of other remedies suggested here and on the debian-users
and gnome e-lists. No joy. The same thing happened a month ago when I
tried testing the first time. To sleuth down where the problem lies
would take ages. I'd have to keep written logs of every configuration
change and appllcation install, and reboot after every dozen or so
until it breaks.

That is not all that is messed up. I have spent hours trying to get
Debian to enable my bluetooth mouse, but to no avail. I tried a live CD
of Lenny and couldn't get it working there either. But with a live CD
of Karmic it took 60 seconds to get it working.

Nautilus crashes if you click on Preferences.

Update Manager is also messed up in Squeeze. It continually displays an
icon saying there is one update available. But when I launch Update
Manager it says the computer is completely up to date. Aptitude also
says it is up to date. And you can't get rid of the icon unless you
delete the notification area.

I may try Fedora for a few days, but I'm probably going to end up back
with Ubuntu. But if I do it will be because I like it, not because I
need its training wheels.