[PLUG] Grub fails. Grrrr.

Carlos Konstanski ckonstanski at pippiandcarlos.com
Fri Nov 27 04:25:35 UTC 2009

On Thu, 26 Nov 2009, Erik Lane wrote:

> Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2009 20:13:05 -0800
> From: Erik Lane <eriklane at gmail.com>
> To: "General Linux/UNIX discussion and help,	civil and on-topic"
>     <plug at lists.pdxlinux.org>
> Subject: Re: [PLUG] Grub fails. Grrrr.
>
> On Thu, Nov 26, 2009 at 7:04 PM, John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net> wrote:
>> I tried rebooting half a dozen times, but could never get past the
>> error screen. From the grub> prompt if you just hit enter you get a
>> list of possible commands. None are useful. I mean, once I had to edit
>> a menu item in Grub and it was a snap. Once I had a bad grub install
>> and I got a list of commands including things like grub-update. But now
>> the list of commands is useless.
>>

> Yeah, I tried quite a few commands on there and had no luck, either. I
> was pleasantly surprised that it just started working.
>
> That's the extent of my experience with grub2, though. Sorry.

>From the grub> prompt, you can enter the exact same sort of commands
that are found in the grub.conf file. This allows you to boot the box
"manually" in the event that the MBR wasn't installed correctly.

On my laptop, I would type the following commands at the grub prompt
to boot:

root (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.31.6 root=/dev/hda3
boot

I don't use an initrd image, otherwise I would have to include another
command:

initrd /initrd-2.6.31.6

Once the box is booted and running, or even from the same grub prompt
you get when you turn on the computer, you can run the following
commands to install the bootloader into the MBR:

root (hd0,0)
setup (hd0)

That's it!

Carlos