[PLUG] Debian trip is over

Mike Connors mconnors1 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 27 12:44:39 UTC 2009

I accidentally deleted the reply thread from Tim regarding Linux
desktops (KDE/GNOME) and window managers. He mentioned Fluxbox.

My reply to Tim's thread:

I've tried a few different window managers including Fluxbox,
Enlightenment, FVWM, Blackbox. I would love to break my addiction to KDE
because it is a heavy gui w. a lot of dependencies. However, each time I
try it always feel like something is missing or I get lost navigating in
it and then go running back. LXDE wasn't a bad lightweight desktop if I
recall.

Many a casual Linux user holds the belief that one of the big things
that holds back greater adoption of Linux among the masses is the lack
of a good desktop experience. It's one area of Linux that doesn't get a
lot of developer love and attention.

I think it's what makes many devs & other tech people I know flock to
MACs. The quintessential desktop experience...