[PLUG] ntp, ntpd, ntpdate, ntpd-debian

Denis Heidtmann denis.heidtmann at gmail.com
Fri Nov 27 19:38:48 UTC 2009

I see in a 2005 note that ntpdate is going away soon.  My ubuntu comes
with ntpdate and ntpdate-debian, and no ntpd.  That is fine with me.
( I guess "soon" is a relative term.)  I boot my only machine at least
daily (power saving).  I have no network.

I would like to synch. my clock on boot.  ntpdate is good for that.
My trouble is that I do not know how to specify an ntp server.  The
lists I see look like no internet addresses I am used to seeing.  For
example, the file /etc/default/ntpdate has an entry
NTPSERVERS="ntp.ubuntu.com".  When I google, I get a lot of
information about servers, how to set one up, etc, but nothing about
what I actually need to enter for the field <server> to USE the
server.

Help.

-Denis