[PLUG] PLUG Digest, Vol 62, Issue 89

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Fri Nov 27 22:46:45 UTC 2009

On Fri, 27 Nov 2009 12:14:02 -0800
Dale Snell <ddsnell at verizon.net> dijo:

> > As I educate myself to the RPM way of doing things, I am hoping that
> > the package management suckage will diminish. Fedora 12 does come with
> > a nice GUI Add/Remove Packages utility, but it's not nearly as fully
> > featured as Synaptic. I need to figure out repositories; that is, I
> > assume there is a sources.list file somewhere, but I need to figure
> > out where there are other repositories and how to add them. That will
> > be today's educational adventure.
>
> I don't know of any master list of repositories, though to be honest
> I've never gone looking for one.  The main repositories that I use,
> aside from Fedora's, are RPMFusion and Adobe.  RPMFusion
> (<http://rpmfusion.org>) has a lot of stuff that Fedora won't carry,
> due to patent or licensing issues. Things like MP3 and DVD codecs and
> such.  Adobe, of course, is where you get the Adobe Flash plug-in for
> Firefox.
>
> If I may suggest, download a copy of Yumex (as root, type: "yum install
> yumex").  Yumex is a GUI for yum that is, imho, much nicer than the
> default GUI that comes with Fedora.  It's very nice for perusing the
> repositories.  Between Yumex and the updates setup that Fedora
> installs, you should be able to keep up to date with a minimum of fuss.

I had already discovered RPMFusion, and enabled it in order to install
VLC. And I added Adobe when I followed the instructions for installing
Flash. And after adding Adobe I was able to install Adobe Reader easily
from the package manager.

Thanks for the tip about Yumex. I installed it, but I don't see a way
to add a repository. Not that I have any URLs yet, but if I discover a
repository that I want to enable I need to figure out what passes for
an /etc/apt/sources.list file in RPM-land, or how to add a repo with a
GUI. Then again, maybe my current list is all there is.

Sorry to hear about your woes with Fedora 12. The same thing happened
to me on my first attempt at installing Debian testing a month ago.
Except in my case root worked, it was my user password that was messed
up. I don't know how that could have happened. The installer asks for
the username and password, and you have to reenter the password to
verify. All I can conclude is that I mistyped my user password twice
the same way. But since root was good I could log in to Recovery Mode
as root, and then use the passwd command to fix jjj's password.