[PLUG] Running ntpdate at boot

wes plug at the-wes.com
Sun Nov 29 05:03:55 UTC 2009

> So the question in its most general form is how to run ntpdate -bu
> pool.ntp.org without my intervention.  If my attempts at this are
> close, what does it take to get ntpdate-debian to run during boot?
> Some of the docs seem to indicate that should be a default condition
> of ubuntu Jaunty.
>
> Thanks for the help,
> -Denis

I don't run it at boot, but I do run it on a schedule. on production boxes,
I go once an hour. everything else can go once a day or 12 hours or whenever
you want really.

I do this by adding the command to invoke ntpdate to root's crontab.

run the command "sudo crontab -e"

add the line:

0 * * * * ntpdate -bu pool.ntp.org #this will run it once an hour, on the
hour

or:

0 0 * * * ntpdate -bu pool.ntp.org #this will run it every day at midnight

-wes