[PLUG] Minitab dilemna...

Tim Wescott tim at wescottdesign.com
Thu Oct 1 20:38:37 UTC 2009

Add Scilab - http://www.scilab.org - to the list.  It's _not_ specifically
for statistics, but if you can get by with a normal number cruncher
program it may be the way to go.

I've heard good things about R from folks who are in the know.  I would
get a copy, but the control and communications systems work that I do is a
very good fit for Scilab; statistics are either peripheral to what I do,
or are vary narrowly focused on control and communications problems, not
'general' statistics.

You may want to investigate the class a bit -- if the course content is
"to find out the conditional distribution with x2 = 5 just type in this
here Minitab command and see the result" then you probably need to get
Minitab (or find a course that actually teaches the subject, not the
tool).  OTOH if the course content is the math, and Minitab is just used
as a way to get there, and if you're happy with getting _no_ support from
your prof with R or whatever, one of the alternatives may be just fine.

Talk to the prof, too -- I could see a department head who's used to a
commercial program demanding it's use.  The prof may have a favorite
open-source program already, and may be willing to help you on the side.
OTOH, if his head turns around three times and he barfs green slime at the
mention of open source, you may want acquiesce to Minitab for the
duration, and get something better later.