[PLUG] Portable Scanner

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Fri Oct 2 02:29:34 UTC 2009

On Thu, 1 Oct 2009 08:43:12 -0700 (PDT)
Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> dijo:

>    Has anyone here used a portable scanner (preferably with a USB interface)
> on a laptop/notebook with Xsane?
>
>    I'm looking for recommendations for a unit I can carry with my portable
> office to scan a lot of letter-size pages.

I use a Canon Lide 30. When I bought it a few years ago it had been
discontinued, so I got it for about $80, about 20% off. It is
completely supported with Sane, but the later models are not (or were
not at the time).

I bought it because it is lightweight and runs completely off the USB
2.0 connection. I have actually carried it to PSU in my backpack along
with my Thinkpad T61, although the combination is pretty heavy if you
also need to carry a couple textbooks.

It has always "just worked" with every version of Ubuntu.