[PLUG] Minitab dilemna...

Erik Lane eriklane at gmail.com
Fri Oct 2 05:16:29 UTC 2009

Look at Sage math ( http://www.sagemath.org/) for a general
mathematics package. It has R, numpy, octave, etc. etc. I'm not a
mathematician, so I don't know a huge amount about it, but I have been
checking it out as I am an engineering student and mathematica was
recommended to me. This is a *very* actively developed alternative to
just about any math package. They have a little of everything, but of
course the things that are most complete are the ones that have
interested developers. So some areas are more mature than others, I
gather.

It's very powerful right now, though. Normally you can check it out at
http://sagenb.org/

I even have an account there (it's free) and play around with stuff
sometimes. It's got fun graphing and lots and lots of math that's way
beyond me - rings and ??? But I just went to look at it to get the URL
and the whole thing, sagemath and sagenb both seem to be down right
now. First time I've ever seen that, but it would be when I want to
recommend it, of course!

I'm sure it will be back up soon, but right now it's broken.

You can get a taste of it at:
http://sagemath.blogspot.com/          (author is originator of sage math)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sage_%28mathematics_software%29

Erik