[PLUG] (K)Ubuntu email sync

Bruce KIlpatrick bakilpatrick at verizon.net
Sat Oct 3 04:36:16 UTC 2009

The latest project has me with 2 computers.
I am running Kubuntu on one and Ubuntu (both 9.10 Alpha 6) on the other.

I have been trying to figure out the best (easiest) way to sync
Thunderbird on both machines.  The obvious goal is to keep the clients
current on what's read, forwarded, replied to, etc, so no matter which I
grab and run with, I am current.  I can leave a copy of the message on
the server, but Verizon dumps them to me after an unknown period of time
and I am then stuck with deleting a large batch of previously read messages.

I plan to switch to a Gmail account in the not too distant future, but
am paying for Verizon service for now.

Google keeps telling me to switch from POP to IMAP.  AFAICT, Verizon
doesn't support IMAP.

So, I am wondering if rsync (rdiff?) is the most reasonable solution.

All ideas gratefully accepted.

TIA,

Bruce