[PLUG] Open source tax software exists!

Michael Robinson plug_1 at robinson-west.com
Mon Oct 5 07:53:59 UTC 2009

Sadly though, it doesn't cover Oregon covering only 8 states, Canada,
and Australia.

http://opentaxsolver.sourceforge.net/

I don't know if it is out of beta yet.

This may be an option when Oregon is added to the list of states that
the program supports.

I'm not sure I like that this tax software doesn't use the interview
approach, but then again I haven't tried it.

Well, so much for the OSS community can't produce tax software.  I
think a group of accountants though working with a Linux programmer
selling a commercial Linux tax app might be more fruitful.  I
wouldn't mind paying $20 to download open source tax software if
that means that the developers can stabilize it and support the
Oregon tax code.  People shouldn't have to pull out Windows and
TurboTax or do their taxes on a web site.  Yes you can go to a
tax preparer, but a lot of times that costs more than using
TurboTax.  A decent tax software package, commercial or free,
should be open platform anyways and I like to hear that e-filing
will be possible with this open source tax software.  It looks
like opentaxsolver is on the right track at least.