[PLUG] Netgear OSS router - again

Russell Senior russell at personaltelco.net
Thu Oct 8 02:46:11 UTC 2009

>>>>> "Galen" == Galen Seitz <galens at seitzassoc.com> writes:

Galen> The discussion here is enlightening:
Galen> http://lwn.net/Articles/355628/ The quick summary is that the
Galen> WNR3500L uses Broadcom closed source drivers, so the kernel is
Galen> still stuck in the 2.4 series.  A better choice for an open
Galen> router might be the Linksys WRT160NL, which uses Atheros.
Galen> Apparently openwrt has added support for the WRT160NL.

Galen> Perhaps Russell can tell us more.

I saw the device reported this last week or so, and even before seeing
reference to the broadcom radio, I saw the list price of $140.  There
are better options at that price point.

Also, I have yet to become enamoured of 802.11n.  My experiences so
far, although limited, were not positive.  Two nearby Cisco/Linksys N
routers (one of the sleek-looking black models) rendered the RF medium
unusable.  802.11g is way faster than your internet connection, so all
the marketing language (even if it was true) about super high
bandwidth 11n is mostly useless.

--
Russell Senior, President
russell at personaltelco.net