[PLUG] London Stock Exchange - $Soft out, Linux/Solaris in

Carlos Konstanski ckonstanski at pippiandcarlos.com
Thu Oct 8 18:37:17 UTC 2009

On Thu, 8 Oct 2009, Rob Saul wrote:

> Date: Thu, 08 Oct 2009 11:15:51 -0700
> From: Rob Saul <rob at code-gnomemad.org>
> To: "General Linux/UNIX discussion and help;	civil and on-topic"
>     <plug at lists.pdxlinux.org>
> Subject: Re: [PLUG] London Stock Exchange - $Soft out, Linux/Solaris in
>
> Keith Lofstrom wrote:
>>
>> The financial/investment community has had a strong commitment
>> to Unix for decades.  The remaining question was when to move
>> from Unix to Linux, and  most large firms made the back-office
>> conversion years ago.
>
> That much I've been aware of. In a previous life I worked at
> a closed source UNIX shop that was a vendor to an exchange.
>
> I've not kept my ear to the ground with regards to Linux adoption
> for awhile.  I've been fortunate to work in places where it was
> the rule rather than the exception for quite awhile now.
>
>>  Most of the desktop is still M$.
>
> No accounting for taste. ;)
>
> Anyway, thanks again to Pete for passing along the link.
>
> 	~Rob

I've been doing a lot of job hunting lately. Being a Lisp developer, I
have been searching for jobs in this area. I am finding that financial
companies are the biggest users of custom Lisp solutions (at least
from my vantage point). These companies have money; they're not using
Lisp for its up-front cost savings. My theory is that even though it
costs more to hire good Lisp developers, they're willing to pay it for
the best solution. What I don't understand is how non-computer people
discovered Lisp amidst all the marketing noise.

Carlos