[PLUG] Date Reformatting in Database Table

Roderick A. Anderson raanders at cyber-office.net
Sat Oct 10 14:46:04 UTC 2009

Randal L. Schwartz wrote:

> Roderick>      my ($f1, $f2, $f3, $f4, $f5, $f6, $f7, $f8, $f9, $f10, $f11) =
> Roderick>      split('\|', $_);
>
> "My eyes... the goggles do nothing!"
>
> Seriously, whenever you start having variable names or column names or
> anything names that end in "1", "2", "3", you're doing it wrong.

You are right on there.  I didn't say in my post it was partially a
joke.  Many years ago I was asked to add some minor functionality to a
Fortran program written by a Civil Engineer.
   There was no documentation and the variables were exactly like this.
F1-F18.  That made it interesting as they were used to to do some
complex calculations and I, not being a civil engineer, didn't know what
was being used for where.

Also I was caught up in the 11 fields thought.  Not a Perl hacker, just
pragmatic.  :-)

> An array would have worked far better there.

Got a few of them hanging around where the script wasn't slapped together.

\\||/
Rod