[PLUG] London Stock Exchange - $Soft out, Linux/Solaris in

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Mon Oct 12 19:05:52 UTC 2009

On Mon, 12 Oct 2009, Denis Heidtmann wrote:

> I detect considerable derision toward all non-programers. Too bad the
> world cannot not be run exclusively by assembly language programers. Think
> how wonderful life would be.

Denis,

   One does not need a CS degree to be a competent coder. PJ Plauger received
his PhD in physics before developing C compilers for main frames and being a
member if the ISO C standards work group. The only formal programming course
I took was Introduction to FORTRAN because the grad school at the U. of
Illinois insisted I take it after I was writing in that language for two
years. If one is writing code that is supposed to work and be maintained
then it's not unreasonable to expect some degree of knowlege regardless of
the training being formal or on one's own. I learned C and Python on my own,
with the help of books, on-line mail lists, and better qualified friends.