[PLUG] ps2ascii not working: GS-8.63

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Thu Oct 15 17:08:26 UTC 2009

On Thu, 15 Oct 2009, Rogan Creswick wrote:

> I've noticed some glaring regressions in the printed output from
> firefox in the 3.0 series.  A *lot* of new font "stuff" was added (eg:
> ligatures) and it looks a bit like that impacted the printed output
> pretty negatively... letter spacing (kerning?) is often very
> inconsistent, to the point that I can't bear to read printed FF output
> anymore.

Rogan,

   I've suspected that the problems are firefox related, not the fault of the
GNU tools. Too much emphasis nowadays on eye candy rather than function.

> Anyway, it's possible that Firefox is just producing really ugly PS. If
> so, then Firefox may be the only thing affected by this problem, and you
> could use something else to get text from web pages (lynx and w3m will do
> it).  Or <cough> switch to Opera :)

   I have Opera installed because there are some Web sites that just stopped
displaying properly on Firefox. Example: Daryl Cagle's political cartoons.
With Firefox-3.x the first page displays, but every time I try to display
page 2 (never get past there) it instantly shifts to a "share me" page and I
cannot return from there. So, I use Opera for that site on the rare
occasions I check it. There's another couple of sites (including one federal
government contractor) that are built with M$ tools and work only with M$
clients. Public money in the latter case but they don't care. Opera works
on those, fortunately.

   Thanks for the insights.