[PLUG] What is a "desktop image"?

Steve Beattie steve at nxnw.org
Fri Oct 16 08:10:22 UTC 2009

On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 09:10:04PM -0700, John Jason Jordan wrote:
> Thinking I might want to get the beta of Karmic I went to the download
> page:
>
> http://releases.ubuntu.com/releases/9.10/
>
> And I see there options for a "Marvell Dove desktop image" and a
> "Freescale i.MX51 desktop image."
>
> Google finds only links to Ubuntu pages, none of which explain what
> these things are. Since I have never heard of either of them, I'm
> guessing I don't have the boards in question. Nevertheless, I'm curious.

Marvell Dove and Freescale i.MX51 are two different types of ARM
processor classes. The published images intended for flashing onto
USB sticks and can be used as either live images a la livecds or
for installation.

It's expected that at least some portion of the netbook market will
become ARM based devices, given their relative low cost and low
power consumption.

--
Steve Beattie
<sbeattie at ubuntu.com>