[PLUG] xorg, evdev, hal and PS2

Carlos Konstanski ckonstanski at pippiandcarlos.com
Thu Oct 22 16:48:38 UTC 2009

I have 5 computers that I administer (4 at home, one at work) that all
run gentoo. With the recent upgrade to xorg 1.6, I switched all of
them to a HAL keyboard and mouse setup, employing evdev as the driver
for these devices.

4 of the 5 computers work great with this setup. 1 does not. The
keyboard and mouse are completely unresponsive while in X. This
computer has one key difference from the others: its keyboard and
mouse are connected via PS2, while the others are USB. Could this be
the missing link? I guess I could try a USB keyboard and mouse myself,
I just haven't yet. The machine is my server, and I don't like to mess
with it much.

Is there a way to get evdev working with PS2 input devices? The whole
evdev thing is a good idea (avoiding duplication of effort between the
kernel and X), and I would like to make use of it. Since the keyboard
and mouse work in a VGA console, it seems that the kernel is perfectly
capable of reading them. I just wish I wouldn't be forced into buying
a new keyboard and mouse when the ones I have are perfecly
serviceable.

Carlos