[PLUG] Xubuntu 9.04 CD Woes

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Fri Oct 23 05:07:01 UTC 2009

On Thu, 22 Oct 2009 21:09:55 -0700
Tim Wescott <tim at wescottdesign.com> dijo:

> Just got done trying out Xubuntu 9.04 for the second time (so no, it's
> not a bad CD...).
>
> On machine A, I run it, it comes up really screwy in regular mode, and
> fine in 'safe graphics' mode -- except that after about 30 seconds the
> machine powers down with nary a 'blip' of warning.
>
> On machine B I get the startup menu just fine, but when it goes to boot
> the screen just goes blank and stays that way, both in regular and safe
> graphics mode.
>
> I'm clueless here -- any suggestions?  Is Xubuntu broken these days?  Am
> I just having really bad luck with compatibility?  What?
>
> I tried to see if I could do a text-only start, but I don't know the
> magic finger-ring combination -- if someone knows, I'll try that on
> machine B to see if it's just a really bad graphics compatibility issue.

If you're using the live CD, the boot options are on the initial screen
- the one which says "run Ubuntu without changing your computer" at the
top. The boot options for startup commands are hidden, and I can't
remember exactly where they are, but the instructions are on that
screen. There are also several other options in the menu.

If you have already installed it, the option you are looking for is in
the Grub boot menu. Under the regular (default) boot entry there will
be one labeled "recovery mode." When the Grub screen comes up (right
after the BIOS stuff) you can hit Esc and it will bring up the menu.
You have to be quick with the Esc.