[PLUG] Reinstall, yet save everything

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Sat Oct 24 03:29:48 UTC 2009

Generally the only time I do a new install is when I get a new
computer. Yet I like an up-to-date distro, so I always do a
dist-upgrade of my Ubuntu laptop whenever a new version comes out.

The reason I hate a reinstall is that I have god knows how many
programs installed, many of which required fiddling to get them
working. Did I document what I did to install them? Of course not. I
mean "It's working. Yay! Time for beer."

Then there's the issue of user configurations. Sure, config files for
applications are in ~/, but what about the configurations for the
desktop and for Ubuntu itself? And do those application config files
include all the plugins, add-ons and extensions? Will Firefox remember
the theme and plugins I have installed? Will Openoffice.org find my
Zotero library so I can add a reference to a term paper?

I figure a reinstall will take at least two full days, days mostly
filled with swearing in several languages.

I really don't want to do a reinstall, yet there is something messed up
in Xorg, Gnome, or bluetooth on my Jaunty laptop. I have tried and
tried to fix it, but there are just too many files, libraries, modules
and settings. Things are working, except I have currently lost the
bluetooth mouse again. I am giving serious consideration to a fresh
install when Karmic goes final. Plus, the timing is good - I have no
big projects underway at the moment.

Of course, I will do a full backup beforehand. In fact, I will do it
several times - to a hard disk, to DVDs, and again to the hard disk
using a different backup strategy.

Before I detrepidate myself and undertake this effort I could use
information about how to get a list (printout) of all installed
applications. I could also use a list of all configurations that I have
made to Ubuntu, including a list of all repositories I have enabled.
And I could use a list of a lot of other things needed to get me back
where I am, things that I haven't even thought of yet.

Suggestions and comments will be gratefully received.