[PLUG] Virtual Install to save everything -- was Reinstall, yet save everything

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sat Oct 24 21:49:06 UTC 2009

On Sat, Oct 24, 2009 at 12:00 PM, Richard C. Steffens <rsteff at comcast.net>wrote:

> I have an Epson Perfection 600 flatbed scanner that worked fine when I was
> running SuSE 10.something. But, when I installed Ubuntu Hardy, it was no
> longer recognized. I figure if I keep a virtual distro around to run the
> scanner, I won't have to worry too much about upgrading it. I wouldn't use
> it to talk to the Internet in any way.

Dick,

   If you look at the sane-project.org Web site you'll see that the Epson
Perfection 600 is supported "good." It uses the umax back end:

Perfection 600 	SCSI 	  	Good 	OK, SCSI-ID=EPSON Perfection600
umax (1.0-41) 	sane-umax

   The 610 is completely supported.

   Regardless, if you have a current version of Xsane installed your scanner
should work regardless of distribution or version.