[PLUG] prep for a dual boot

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Sun Oct 25 04:30:15 UTC 2009

On Sat, 24 Oct 2009 10:23:07 -0700
Randy Stapilus <stapilus at ridenbaugh.com> dijo:

> Next month, I'd like to bring my desktop box in to the Sunday clinic
> and set up a dual boot - it's currently XP, and I'd like to dual boot
> with the current Linux Mint. (Hard drive has more than 100 gb
> available, so there should be plenty of room.) My question: Apart
> from backup (which I do regularly anyway), and download of the OS,
> what else should I do in advance of bringing in the machine? Or bring
> with me?
>
> One note: I don't have wireless installed in it, have been using DSL
> cable. Not sure if that would make any difference (I think I recall
> DSL cabling in the clinic room, at least last time I was there), but
> thought I'd mention it.

The Clinic has both wired and wireless internet connections. No need to
install wireless, just plug one of the Free Geek cables into your
ethenet card and you should be fine.

As for what to bring, you can probably get away with bringing just the
box. We have monitors, keyboards and mice.

Supposedly we have distros available to burn to a CD. But there is not
much call for Mint and I'm not sure which version we have unless I get
up, walk across the room, get the drive and plug it in. Probably best
to just download the distro that you want, burn the image to a CD and
bring it with. If I recall correctly Mint does a live CD, so you can
test the CD yourself by booting to it. If it boots, you burned the live
CD correctly.

The next Clinic will be November 15. Looking forward to seeing you!