[PLUG] Firefox safe mode...

Scott Garman sgarman at zenlinux.com
Sun Oct 25 21:24:34 UTC 2009

Michael Robinson wrote:
> How can one restrict who can use firefox in safe mode?
> Extensions like Procon::Latte are pointless if everyone
> can switch to safe mode and uninstall it.  Has anyone
> restricted firefox by creating a wrapper for it and
> hiding the actual firefox executable?  Is there any
> way to fix firefox safe mode so that you can't access
> sites that aren't local to the computer?  Firefox safe
> mode isn't very safe, the developers of firefox should
> seriously consider redesigning it.

You could always recompile Firefox to remove the ability to enter safe
mode if you have an application that warrants it. I'm not sure if
removing safe mode is a compile-time option, but if not you could patch
the source to remove the check for the safe mode command line option.

Keep in mind, without safe mode, you can get yourself into situations
where extensions could make your browser unusable. For example, some of
the kiosk extensions do a pretty good job of preventing you from
defeating them - the only way to get rid of them is to put FF into safe
mode and remove the extension.

Scott

--
Scott Garman