[PLUG] Test fullscreen projector with widescreen laptops

m0gely m0gely at gmail.com
Tue Oct 27 17:21:47 UTC 2009

Keith Lofstrom wrote:
> I will be presenting my server-sky talk to the PTP meeting on
> Wednesday, 630pm at Roots.  One of the things I would like to
> try before the presentation is how well my 1024x768 projector
> works with widescreen laptops - does it letterbox, or distort?
>
> So I hope a few of you can bring widescreen laptops and we
> can do some tests.  Linux/BSD/Win/Mac .
>
> I would also like to try my wydiwys slide show, so hopefully
> some of you have laptops with USB ports and web browsers with
> Flash and Javascript and no keycode-munching browser plugins.
>
> Keith

A projector is just another display, with it's own resolution settings.
If you're slides are designed at 4:3, they will display at 4:3. However,
if the display is widescreen physically, but set to run at a non-native
4:3 resolution, then the slides (and anything else) will display
stretched. If you run 4:3 slides (and anything else) on a widescreen
display set to run at its native resolution, you will see black bars on
the sides.

--
m0gely