[PLUG] How many domain name servers?

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Fri Oct 30 17:49:28 UTC 2009

How many domain name servers can a domain registration point at?
Is there a hard limit or a maximum practical limit?

Right now, I'm using dyndns for domain name service, which is
expensive.  I plan to move DNS to my server hosting company
Rimuhosting, (3 name servers) and add some place like everydns
(4 name servers), for 7 name servers in the domain registration
record.   The redundancy permits me to relocate more easily if
Rimuhosting gets eaten by a bad economy (they are thriving now)
and their nameservers abruptly vanish.

Does that vaguely approximate a rational plan?

Keith

P.S. I have two static IPs at Rimuhosting, which have not moved
for years.  Their gui for changing DNS records is difficult to
use.  I have TXT records for DKIM and such, and about 5 or 6
CNAMEs each for 15 URLs.