[PLUG] How many domain name servers?

Joe Pruett joey at clean.q7.com
Fri Oct 30 19:17:30 UTC 2009

> How many domain name servers can a domain registration point at?
> Is there a hard limit or a maximum practical limit?
>
> Right now, I'm using dyndns for domain name service, which is
> expensive.  I plan to move DNS to my server hosting company
> Rimuhosting, (3 name servers) and add some place like everydns
> (4 name servers), for 7 name servers in the domain registration
> record.   The redundancy permits me to relocate more easily if
> Rimuhosting gets eaten by a bad economy (they are thriving now)
> and their nameservers abruptly vanish.
>
> Does that vaguely approximate a rational plan?
>
> Keith
>
> P.S. I have two static IPs at Rimuhosting, which have not moved
> for years.  Their gui for changing DNS records is difficult to
> use.  I have TXT records for DKIM and such, and about 5 or 6
> CNAMEs each for 15 URLs.

i'm not aware of any official limit.  there are practical limits for the
size of a dns response that will fit in a udp packet.  big places (google,
yahoo, ms) use 4-7 servers without problem.  there is a mini compression
algorithm involved so extra ns records with the same base names don't use
much space.

but why not just use the dns from your registrar?  usually that is
included in the registration fees and has a web interface to drive it.