[PLUG] Linux distributions concern...

Michael Robinson plug_1 at robinson-west.com
Tue Sep 1 23:12:54 UTC 2009

I run CentOS 5.3, I try to keep updated because it's CentOS and CentOS
sadly is way behind as far as Linux distributions go.

People who run CentOS want something that just plain works and they
don't expect to reinstall their operating system every 6 months or
sooner.

Ubuntu seems to be the most popular Linux distribution for desktops
and it seems to be more current, but I'm not sure I like Ubuntu.
I don't like having to maintain 2 different Linux distributions.

Games like Dirk Dashing Secret Agent noticeably don't work quite right
on CentOS.  The latest release of Dirk Dashing doesn't seem to work at
all on CentOS, I am not sure why.

Where is Linux going in the future?  What is getting the most attention
right now across the board in general?  Wine and ReactOS still have a
long ways to go.  Dirk Dashing is a native Linux program, but it doesn't
work equally well on all Linux distributions.  Are the various Linux
distributions, enterprise and desktop editions, going to get closer in
time features wise?  Is there going to be a 2.8.xyz kernel soon?

The kernels that CentOS uses stock are quite old as far as the 2.6
branch goes.  I am using 2.6.18 and the current kernel is like 2.6.27
or something.  In CentOS, the mesa drivers seem to be ancient.
Graphics support in CentOS seems to be weak even if you have
updated as far as you can.  I'm wondering when CentOS 6 is going to
come out?

Enterprise Linux Distributions are supposed to be for people who need a
system that just works.  But do these distributions have to be so far
behind the bleeding edge?  I'm surprised there aren't repositories for
CentOS to make it more bleeding edge so that you don't have to maintain
a whole entire different Linux distribution.