[PLUG] Setting OO.o Writer Default

Joe Shisei Niski joeniski at easystreet.net
Tue Sep 1 23:56:19 UTC 2009

> On the other hand, at its current level of development OOo has all the
> features I want it to have except freedom from bugs. Instead of adding
> a ribbon I wish they would declare a moratorium on new features for at
> least a year and concentrate instead on cleaning up the existing code.
> In "cleaning up the existing code" I include fixing font management on
> Linux so it uses OpenType fonts like all my other Linux apps. That the
> flagship Linux office suite cannot at this date is pathetic.
Amen to that! Other unpleasantness (in the word processor) relates to
screen updates when using Compiz - so buggy (even on my well-supported
Nvidia card) that's it's unusable.

Even though under deadline pressure, i tried LyX for my current writing
project (thanks to this list), and am really enjoying it. A good blend
of gui editor and clean separation of structure & appearance. One
interesting thing is discovering body-memory for a bunch of keystrokes
for dealing w/bad habits from MS-Word.

Joe