[PLUG] Linux distributions concern...

Russell Johnson russj at dimstar.net
Wed Sep 2 01:02:40 UTC 2009

On Sep 1, 2009, at 4:29 PM, Jameson Williams wrote:

>> The kernels that CentOS uses stock are quite old as far as the 2.6
>> branch goes.  I am using 2.6.18 and the current kernel is like 2.6.27
>> or something.  In CentOS, the mesa drivers seem to be ancient.
>>

> Boy, that is ancient. You should run Fedora, if you like the redhat
> thing.
> FC11 is at 2.6.29 right now. Debian Stable is at 2.6.26, and Ubuntu
> Latest
> is at 2.6.28.

You have to understand the ideology behind the distro before comparing
it.

CentOS has a stated goal to be as like RHEL as possible, without
infringing on Redhat IP. RHEL has a stated goal to be stable for two
years.

Stable is defined as, "What ran on RHEL 5.2 at release will run on
RHEL 5.2 with all updates". (I'm paraphrasing... )

They don't release kernel updates unless there is a compelling reason
to do so. Most kernel updates will wait until the next major update of
the OS.

Basically, CentOS will release kernel updates when RHEL publishes
kernel updates. They would be subverting their own stated objectives
if they were to release their own kernel update.

Fedora, on the other hand, is the Redhat playground. It's not stable,
not for production, shouldn't be used for 'real work'. YMMV.

None of what I have stated in this message should be considered as
gospel, or as a statement from, about, pro, or con against any
particular distribution. I'm simply restating, in my own way.

Constructive comments welcome. "Flames and/or distro-war fodder" >> /
dev/null.

Russell Johnson
russj at dimstar.net