[PLUG] Linux distributions concern...

Jameson Williams jameson at jamesonwilliams.com
Wed Sep 2 01:24:07 UTC 2009

On Tue, Sep 1, 2009 at 6:02 PM, Russell Johnson <russj at dimstar.net> wrote:

> On Sep 1, 2009, at 4:29 PM, Jameson Williams wrote:
>

> >> The kernels that CentOS uses stock are quite old as far as the 2.6
> >> branch goes.  I am using 2.6.18 and the current kernel is like 2.6.27
> >> or something.  In CentOS, the mesa drivers seem to be ancient.
> >>

> > Boy, that is ancient. You should run Fedora, if you like the redhat
> > thing.
> > FC11 is at 2.6.29 right now. Debian Stable is at 2.6.26, and Ubuntu
> > Latest
> > is at 2.6.28.
>
> You have to understand the ideology behind the distro before comparing
> it.
>
> CentOS has a stated goal to be as like RHEL as possible, without
> infringing on Redhat IP. RHEL has a stated goal to be stable for two
> years.
>
> Stable is defined as, "What ran on RHEL 5.2 at release will run on
> RHEL 5.2 with all updates". (I'm paraphrasing... )
>
> They don't release kernel updates unless there is a compelling reason
> to do so. Most kernel updates will wait until the next major update of
> the OS.
>
> Basically, CentOS will release kernel updates when RHEL publishes
> kernel updates. They would be subverting their own stated objectives
> if they were to release their own kernel update.
>
> Fedora, on the other hand, is the Redhat playground. It's not stable,
> not for production, shouldn't be used for 'real work'. YMMV.
>
> None of what I have stated in this message should be considered as
> gospel, or as a statement from, about, pro, or con against any
> particular distribution. I'm simply restating, in my own way.
>
> Constructive comments welcome. "Flames and/or distro-war fodder" >> /
> dev/null.

if( STDFLAME_FILENO != open( centos_complaints, O_CREAT ) )
    exit( EXIT_FAILURE );

I agree with what you have said, in so far as it is similar to what I have
read and believe to be the common view of the topic. In practice, the CentOS
machines I've used (often without root access) for "real work" have been out
of date to the point of hindering productivity. As you start compiling more
and more recent versions of things you need, ~/ starts to look like /.
Additionally, I have not found that open bugs in Fedora Core have created
problems either. As a general rule of thumb, my opinion is that Fedora
(CURRENT_RELEASE - 1) is usually better than whatever CentOS is doing.
CentOS is fine for servers that humans don't actually directly use, I
suppose: content servers, etc. Lousy for a build/development machine,
though.