[PLUG] Setting OO.o Writer Default

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Wed Sep 2 05:42:51 UTC 2009

On Tue, 1 Sep 2009 22:10:17 -0700
Larry Williams <larryw at holbrookmasons.org> dijo:

> On Tue, Sep 1, 2009 at 19:03, John Jason Jordan<johnxj at comcast.net> wrote:
> >
> > Even on non-Compiz computers the screen update is horrible in OOo
> > Writer. Click on a graphic and the whole window jumps. Click back on
> > some text and the window jumps again. That's just lame. And it has
> > always been that way, since I first started using StarOffice 0.9 on
> > Windows. C'mon OOo team, clean this crap up.
>
> Agreed.  But I know, or am pretty sure, why that's happening.  From
> what I've observed, OO.o paints the document in a position within its
> workspace, centered if it all fits.  But when you click on an image,
> for example, or a table, there is a relevant toolbar that OO.o decides
> you need to see and it will display that toolbar.  If the toolbar is
> docked, its appearance changes the dimensions of the workspace and so
> OO.o moves the document to accommodate.  Click off the item and its
> toolbar goes away and the document is again repositioned.

Good theory, but I don't think it is correct.

I have no toolbars docked. Long ago I unchecked all the toolbars and
created my own personal toolbar with just the buttons I wanted. And I
keep this toolbar floating off to the right of the document window. I
did this in order to give myself the maximum height for a document. And
when I select an object in the document no additional toolbars jump up,
because I unchecked them long ago. In general I'm not a big fan of
toolbars.

Yet, in spite of the fact that there are no toolbars, the position of
the text and objects in the document window jumps when I select a
graphical object.

It could be that OOo is respecting the position that the toolbar is
supposed to go into if it was not turned off. So your theory may still
be the basis of the problem.

I have subscribed to the OOo Users e-list for ages. What amazes me is
that this has been the state of affairs with OOo for so long that no
one even complains about it any more.