[PLUG] Distro concerns

Roderick A. Anderson raanders at cyber-office.net
Wed Sep 2 22:09:05 UTC 2009

Michael Robinson wrote:
> I have been trying to build a local repository of the Fedora 10 updates,
> but now there is Fedora 11.  Yikes!
>
> I wish there was an attempt to take a stable distro like CentOS which
> works without updates and add modern features to it.  I realize that
> CentOS is an enterprise distribution that tries to follow RHEL, but
> the problem is that there needs to be something between CentOS and
> Fedora.

EPEL, rpmforge?  Though they may not let you bleed as much as you'd
like.  :-)

I've only semi followed this thread but want mention that I use CentOS
5.3 (final) for my desktop/workstation (along with a couple of dozen
servers.)

There have been a few applications that wouldn't work or even install
that I would have liked to play with but for the most part I am happy.

Installed Ubuntu for a friend/client and most of the regulars at the
local user group use Ubuntu but I am not ready to give up my working
setup to play with the bells, whistles, streamers, and flashing lights
that they are always showing.  Besides those same things are available
for CentOS if I wanted to take the time to play around.  I like knowing
I don't have to upgrade for a couple more years.
    Maybe if I fix my wife's computer and get my bench (play) system
back I can spend some time with other distributions.

So back to your concerns.  I think you can get close to bleeding edge
with EPEL and rpmforge.

\\||/
Rod