[PLUG] CPU Usage

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Thu Sep 3 05:20:01 UTC 2009

I have a Thinkpad T61 with Intel Core2 Duo at 2.00 GHz on which I have
Jaunty x86_64. At the moment I am trying to print a couple of pages of
a PDF from Okular and it is taking forever to image. While I watch the
progress in System Monitor I note that the CPUs switch back and forth.
That is, for a while CPU1 will be at or near 100% and CPU2 will be
around 30%. After a while they swap and CPU1 will be at 30% or so and
CPU2 will be at or near 100%. I get the same results from Adobe Reader
9.1. However, Adobe Reader is so slow that I killed it after waiting 20
minutes.

I am wondering how Linux decides which CPU to use for which process.