[PLUG] I hosed my WRT54GL, need JTAG help

m0gely m0gely at gmail.com
Thu Sep 3 16:45:08 UTC 2009

Keith Lofstrom wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 02, 2009 at 02:38:19PM -0700, m0gely wrote:
>> I don't want to purchase the cable and parts even though they aren't
>> that expensive. I've flashed many of these and made one silly mistake on
>> one doing some experimenting. Is anyone out there capable of providing
>
> Can't help you with the cable, but this is the sort of thing I would
> be willing to kick in part of the cost of.  I could probably build one
> if I had the time ... which I don't, sigh.
>
> And I agree with Russell and others;  there are things you can do
> without resorting to JTAG.

Well as I mentioned, the Linksys TFTP app indicates nothing no router is
there to communicate with. I successfully used this app on the router
when getting rid of the VXWorks OS. So I know how that part works unless
there are some additional sneaky techniques.

As for the serial idea, are you referring to soldering on a serial port?
That looks no less invasive than the JTAG approach.

I'm open to idea's, but

> On a side note, which will no doubt hijack the thread:
>
> I would strongly suggest doing flashing of WRT's with a better power
> supply than the wall wart.  I've had good luck with some of the IBM
> T series AC adapters

Even the newer switching power supplies? The problem with your approach
is the cost me thinks.

--
m0gely