[PLUG] computer case wheels

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Fri Sep 11 00:09:54 UTC 2009

I want to put some wheels on some new computer cases for easy access.
I have 3 cases that sit under a bench (user + mail/backup server,
compute server, occasional use "clean machine" ).  Like all card
carrying geeks, I sometimes roll them out to fiddle with them.

Commercially, I've seen "side clamp" and "X base clamp" wheels, both
of which kinda suck.  They stick out to the side too much, they
interfere with opening the side, and the wheelbase is too short.
In the past, I bought hardware store furniture casters and attached
them to the case with holes drilled in the bottom.

This time, I'm thinking about attaching the casters to a thin sheet
of plywood, then attaching the plywood to the case with adhesive-
backed velcro (no metal shavings in the case, no warranty issues).

But there might be something better out there that I haven't heard
about.  Suggestions?

Keith

BTW, two of the cases are Antec Sonata Designer 500's, ultra-quiet
and energy efficient, not at Fry's Wilsonville anymore, but
shippable to Wilsonville from their other stores.  They seem to
be going obsolete, which is sad, because other cases are noisier
and more wasteful.  Sigh.