[PLUG] more lies about Linux

Donkyhotay donkyhotay at verizon.net
Fri Sep 11 02:32:02 UTC 2009

Unfortunately the big box stores aren't going to want to push linux
because it isn't profitable. People know windows, and even if they don't
like it, it's what they want because it's what they know. Also, if
people move to linux then they learn about the advantages of FOSS and
learn how many great open source alternative programs exist out there.
If people learn about open source software then they are less likely to
purchase proprietary software. By selling a linux computer the, the big
box store my make the same amount of money as they would selling a
windows computer, but they lose the opportunity to sell them proprietary
software. Chances are if someone uses linux then they are unlikely to
also purchase, an anti-virus & MSoffice & photo editing software & big
name game titles & finance software and pretty much all the other little
programs that are needed to flesh out a windows install but come free on
linux. Most people buy all this stuff because they don't even know that
are non-proprietary alternatives out there, many of which run on
windows. If people never know or even hear about FOSS, or only hear
about it in a bad way then they won't be tempted to try it and will
continue to buy proprietary software for the rest of their lives. In
regards to the problem with it being 'harder' then windows I feel this
is subjective. I've found that teaching someone to use linux that has
used windows or osX for any length of time is difficult mostly because
they need to unlearn all the bad habits they've picked up. On the other
hand if starting with someone that has never used a computer before in
their life it's pretty easy to teach them how to perform basic functions
on linux such as web browsing, Email, word processing, etc. Also in
regards to the 'linux invalidates the HP warranty' discussion, I
currently do HP tech support and as of right now, installing linux does
not invalidate the warranty but in order to recieve technical support
you would have to reformat/reinstall the original version of windows the
computer came with. This isn't just for linux either though, this is
true even with another windows based OS, if you buy a computer that
comes with vista and install XP (or windows7) on it, the system would
need to be formatted and the original OEM OS reinstalled to recieve
technical support.

Do not be afraid to joust a giant just because some people believe in
windmills.