[PLUG] more lies about Linux

Tim Wescott tim at wescottdesign.com
Fri Sep 11 17:52:52 UTC 2009

Reading Keith's mail and this one just caused a business model to spring,
fully grown, out of my head (just like Athena from Zeus, except my
headache wasn't so bad and no one had to go after me with an ax).

Problem:  Ultimately, only techie geeks can keep a computer going
indefinitely.  Just as cars need mechanics, computers need geeks.
(Currently Windows users are solving this with the 'new computer every
year' behavior).

Problem:  Office Despot and company need money, and can't get it selling
free software.

Solution:  Do like the car dealers do (not to mention Fry's).  Sell the
computer, then sell the service for it.  Sell extended warranties.  Sell
on-site service.  Sell remote log-on service (ooh, won't that enhance
security!).  Sell books on how to use open software.  Sell _classes_ on
how to use open software.  There are tons of opportunities to make $$ in a
free software culture, many of which are compatible with an Office DepMax
sort of business.  So, embrace them.

Of course, this can't be done on a store manager level -- the Office
Whatevers of the world would have to make these decisions at the corporate
level.  But it would mean that the sale of a computer would be the
beginning of a never-ending revenue stream, just like the sale of a car is
the beginning of another tributary to the river of money that comes out of
a car dealership's service department.