[PLUG] Motherboards

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Fri Sep 11 22:18:49 UTC 2009

On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 11:07:20AM -0700, Eric Wilhelm wrote:
> # from Keith Lofstrom
> # on Friday 11 September 2009 10:43:
>
> >I'm looking
> >for decent speed ( > Atom, but by not much ), low electrical power,
>
> The dual-core atom 330 at 1.6GHz seems to do pretty well for tina so far
> (openoffice, firefox, gimp.)  The intel graphics performance is
> dissappointing with dual-head though.

Intel graphics is an issue with the older X, and I am in the Atom++
league because backups really thrash the machine and the SATA interfaces.
The motherboard will be going into a Antec Sonata Designer III case; I
already have the RAM and the Mondo-big-and-slow cooling fan for the CPU.

Side note - the noise of a fan goes up as the 3rd power of the airspeed.
So a fan with twice the diameter moving the same air volume will be
moving that air at 1/4 the speed, with (area / noise-per-area)
= 4/64 times the noise.  Or 12dB quieter.  80mm => 2x120mm is 13dB
quieter.  Big cases are good, shuttle cases are small and cute but
noisy and failure prone.

Keith