[PLUG] SRM console and Alpha update...

Michael Robinson plug_1 at robinson-west.com
Mon Sep 14 06:13:56 UTC 2009

Well, I got CentOS 4.3 to install on my PC164 Alpha system, but
with only 64 megs of ram I don't think I can run X.  I'm trying
a reinstall right now after I dropped in a D-Link ISA network
card in plug and play mode ( had to use a freedos PC to set
the nic up that way ).

Some questions I have:

   Can SRM console and ARC console be installed to the
   motherboard at the same time?

   Can the arc command under SRM console be redirected to a FAT
   partition on a local hard drive instead of the disk drive?

   Does anyone know if X doesn't support the Matrox Millenium
   II graphics adapter well?

   Why when I run Xorg -configure do I totally lose control
   of the system?

I might have to try Debian Lenny for Alpha again.  Problem is,
Debian doesn't seem to recognize the DVD writer.  I wonder if
using low density cable when the USB cage used high density
cable is a problem?

This system uses 72 pin simms that have to be ECC type I believe.
I'm wondering if it's even possible to pick up 64 meg FPM 70 ns
72 pin simms anymore?  With 8 of these, I'd have enough memory
probably.  On the other hand, I spotted a PC164LX that takes
4 ECC PC100 DIMMS with the 533 mhz processor.

I'm wanting to get a 2.6 kernel based Linux system running on
my Alpha with X, but I'm not too keen on doing hardware
upgrades to get there.