[PLUG] Read-only .doc file?

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Tue Sep 15 17:51:01 UTC 2009

On Tue, 15 Sep 2009, Tim wrote:

> Protecting documents against modification is kind of a joke... if you can
> read the data (i.e. it's not encrypted or you know the encryption key),
> you can change it.  It's just a protection mechanism only enforcable in
> software you use to read it.

Tim,

   It's even more of a joke when the document is intended to be filled in on
the computer. They provide a .pdf version for those who want to fill it out
by hand, and a .doc for filling in on the computer. The file was not
supposed to be read-only.

   I think this is a result of the state government using only Microsoft
products and not conforming to open standards. They assume that everyone
uses the same junk and make no accommodation for anyone else. I think it's
analogous to the state buying only one brand of vehicles and forbidding any
other vehicle brand from parking in a state lot. It's annoying. On top of
the hassles I have with several federal agency bureaucrats it's not a
welcome event.

Thanks for your thoughts,