[PLUG] Application Loads for Root, not for User

Carlos Konstanski ckonstanski at pippiandcarlos.com
Wed Sep 16 18:09:34 UTC 2009

On Wed, 16 Sep 2009, Rich Shepard wrote:

> Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2009 10:41:38 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com>
> To: "General Linux/UNIX discussion and help;	civil and on-topic"
>     <plug at lists.pdxlinux.org>
> Subject: Re: [PLUG] Application Loads for Root, not for User
>
> On Wed, 16 Sep 2009, Carlos Konstanski wrote:
>
>> If all else fails, run it in strace.  That should tell you exactly which
>> file it fails to stat.
>
>   Here's an update: after about 3 minutes the application loaded! I wonder
> what's going on here.
>
>   BTW, I have the strace output if anyone would look at it for me.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rich

This behavior seems to indicate some sort of failed network
connection.  Oo must be trying to make a network connection for some
god-awful reason.  Maybe do a wireshark packet trace?

Not sure about the image issue.  I had to reinstall googleearth today
because some recent (gentoo) updates shook things up.  It was
complaining about its bundled libpng.so being the wrong version.
Again I suggest strace, or maybe just try launching Oo from an xterm
so that you can see any stderr messages in the shell.

I would be happy to look at your strace output.  But I won't be able
to give it the attention it deserves until tonight.  Why not get a new
strace with the 3 minute wait and image problem.  I realize it will be
huge; that's fine.

Carlos