[PLUG] Motherboards

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Tue Sep 22 21:35:07 UTC 2009

On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 03:16:56PM -0700, Eric Wilhelm wrote:
> Now back to the research drawing-board.  Might be easiest to go with the
> Asus M2N68 and a 45W AMD as the "devil I know".
>
> That is:  this Asus will do suspend-to-disk, but not to ram.  Anyone
> have good experiences with a more recent board?

I'm typing this on a new Gigabyte GA-73PVM-S2H Intel socket 775
mobo.  Antec Sonata Designer silent case with Earthwatt 500W supply.
The mobo has builtin Nvidia GeForce 7100 video and Nvidia nForce
630i ethernet.  I'm running RHEL5(clone) with an ancient 2.6.18
kernel.  I had to compile new nvidia and forcedeth modules ( a
temporary PCI ethernet card moved the bits).  I've booted it with
various Ubuntu live CDs ( >=8.04 ), which come up in VESA mode ).

The machine is initializing dirvish backups right now, so I can't
tweek or reboot it for a while, but the mobo manual mentions
ACPI S1(POS) "Power on Suspend" and S3(STR) "Suspend To RAM"
sleep states.  I don't know what kernels those work with.

If you want to bring a SATA drive with your favorite distro over
here to KLIC World Headquarters, you can check it out.  Limited
time offer - I shut down my noisy old server and cut over to this
machine on Sunday.

Keith

PS:  I picked the board because it is not ASUS ( which is allegedly
becoming more Linux hostile, YMMV ), Intel processor but not an
Intel peripheral chipset ( new drivers break old kernels ), and
has built in DVI video.