[PLUG] Another -- Different -- OpenOffice.org Question

Bruce KIlpatrick bakilpatrick at verizon.net
Mon Sep 28 16:33:02 UTC 2009

Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Sep 2009, Bruce KIlpatrick wrote:
>
>> I think this means that something else has the /var/log/dpkg/... open. If you
>> still have Synaptic open, that will prevent you from using apt-get.
>
> Bruce,
>
>    That was the killer when we tried using synaptic. It was when I saw that
> result that I tried apt-get from a virtual console.
>
>    What should I be looking for as a source of this problem?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rich

Rich,

My experience has been that I didn't close Synaptic before I tried to
use apt-get.  If Synaptic is still open in the GUI and you are trying to
  use apt-get by ctrl-alt-F1 to the console...that was my best guess.

I don't normally try to answer questions here since I am learning by
reading this list.  This one seemed obvious.  If you have closed
Synaptic then I would be using Google from here.  I do wonder if
something hung in a previous install/upgrade.  Apt-get -f install or
dpkg --configure -a, run as sudo would help those problems.

Good luck.  I will be watching to see what the fix is when you find it!

Bruce