[PLUG] OpenOffice question

Fred James fredjame at fredjame.cnc.net
Mon Sep 28 17:18:16 UTC 2009

Tim Wescott wrote:
> Fred James wrote:
>
> (omissions for brefity)
> Some versions/flavors of OOo check the 'net for updates (all of the
> recent MS versions certainly do).  It could be doing that.  Are you on
> the 'net when this happens?
>
> Isn't 2.2 kinda old?

Tim Westcott
Thank you - bingo - what I was looking for, but - sigh - the navigation
" Choose Tools - Options - OpenOffice.org - Online Update" does not
exist on this installation.
"Online Update is a module that can be selected or deselected to be
installed. Choose the customized installation in the Setup of
OpenOffice.org." may or may point to that issue.
But again ... just the knowledge that "OpenOffice.org will check once a
day, week, or month, as soon as a working Internet connection is
detected." goes a long way toward explaining the somewhat erratic
behavior, and eases my mind somewhat about the document itself.

"kinda old?"  Sure, but it works well.  Upgrade?  I have a 2009 box
running as well with OOo 3.x on it - haven't used it enough to see any
advantage as yet.  Actually (no brick bats, please), I think I might be
more interested in LyX, but that too remains to be seen.

Thanks again
Regards
Fred James