[PLUG] Upgrading Single Application in Xubuntu

Tim tim-pdxlug at sentinelchicken.org
Tue Sep 29 01:00:09 UTC 2009

>    1) How can I determine which xubuntu version is on the system?
>
>    2) According to the Synaptic Package Manager, OO.0-2.4 is the latest
> version. Since I'm running -3.1.1 on my Slackware hosts I know that's not
> correct. What is the procedure for finding a more current version of OO.o
> and having the system upgrade what's currently there?

Rich,

What's the contents of your /etc/apt/sources.list ??

That's the key file for determining where you get your packages from.
When I upgrade a debian machine, I simply change the distro in that
file, and do something like:

  apt-get update
  apt-get upgrade

(or the equivalent in aptitude)

Of course that will upgrade the entire system, not just OO, but that's
basically what you have to do to get the newer version.

HTH,
tim