[PLUG] Bringing up network on xubuntu

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Wed Sep 30 01:00:22 UTC 2009

On Tue, 29 Sep 2009, Tim Wescott wrote:

> Let us know!

   Well, so much for the myth that the ubuntus are bullet-proof. After
spending _all_ day downloading 1006 files for the 9.04 upgrade, and
configuring it all, I'm back to square 1: cannot get the wireless card
recognized.

   I changed /etc/network/interfaces so eth0, eth1, and eth2 are all 'auto'
and working with dhcp. The wireless card used to be on eth2, but ifconfig
doesn't show any ethernet interface. There's the irda1 (for use with the TV
remote, I suppose), lo, and pan0 (for cooking?).

   Tomorrow is another day to try to get this working, not tonight.

   I'll also have to resubscribe to the xubuntu mail list because now when
the laptop shuts down it doesn't also automatically power off.

   If anyone here has ideas on regaining either the wireless PCMCIA card
recognition or power off when the system is halted, please share them with
me.